How to Merge Two WordPress Sites Together Without Losing SEO – Hello Readers, this time we have come back with WordPress tutorial where you can get Best WordPress tutorial like how to, WordPress tips, trick & much more. So here you can see our first WordPress Tutorial How to Merge Two WordPress Sites Together Without Losing SEO. There are So many reasons to Merge Two WordPress Sites Together. You may want to start a new WordPress blog by combining your old blogs so that you can have all your content in one location. Another reason could be that one of your blogs is not doing so well, and you want to merge its content with one of your primary blogs. Special Thanks To WPBeginner. So Let’s take a look at how to easily merge WordPress sites together.
Steps to Merge Two WordPress Sites Together Without Losing SEO
Important: Don’t forget to create complete WordPress backup of both your websites. This will come in handy in case anything goes wrong and you want to revert back.
- First, you need to visit Tools » Export page inside the admin area of your old WordPress site. This is the site that you want to merge with the newer site.
2. Then select ‘All content’ option and then click on ‘Download Export File’ button to continue.
3. WordPress will now prepare an XML file and send it to your browser. You need to save this file on your computer as you will need it in the next step.
4. Now that you have exported content from your old site, it is time to merge it with your new WordPress site.
5. Head over to the admin area of the destination site (the site where you want content to be merged) and visit Tools » Import page.
6. This page lists all the import tools that you can install and run on your WordPress site. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the ‘Install now’ link under WordPress.
7. Once the WordPress importer is installed, you need to click on the ‘Run Importer’ link to continue.
8. Next, you will be asked to upload the WordPress export file. You need to click on the ‘Choose File’ button and then select the XML file you downloaded earlier.
9. Click on ‘Upload file and import’ button to continue. WordPress will now upload your export file and analyze it. After that, it will redirect you to import settings page.
You can assign the imported content to an existing user on your WordPress site or create a new author.
10. Next, check the box under ‘Import Attachments’ option to import media attachments from your old WordPress site.You can now click on the Submit button to run the final step of the import.
WordPress will now import content from your export file and add it to your new WordPress site. Once finished, you will see a success message.
Setting up Redirects
- After successfully merging content from two WordPress sites, the next step is to setup redirects so that users visiting the old site are automatically redirected to the new WordPress site.
- You will need to edit the .htaccess file on the old WordPress site. You can edit the .htaccess file by connecting to your WordPress site using an FTP client or by using the File Manager tool in your WordPress hosting cPanel.
- The .htaccess file is located in the root folder of your website. If you can’t find it, then see our guide on why you can’t find .htaccess file on your WordPress site to unhide it.
- You need to place this code at top of your .htaccess file.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.newsite.com/$1 [R=301,L]
- Don’t forget to replace newsite.com with the domain name of your new WordPress site. Save your changes and upload the file back to your server.
- You can now visit any post on your old WordPress site, and you will be automatically redirected to the same post on the new site.